Friday, April 21, 2006

PPV = Pay-Per-View

Much of today's entertainment comes exclusively on PPV packages. So what is PPV? Well, I actually first came across this term some bout 2 yrs ago from watching wrestling. In Singapore's context, this is much hype about only recently say, 6 mths back?? Not idea also. Ok some brief knowledge here on PPV.

Pay-per-view is the system in which television viewers can purchase events to be seen on TV and pay for the private telecast of that event to view in our own homes. The event is shown at the same time to everyone ordering it, as opposed to video-on-demand systems, which allow viewers to see the event at any time. Such events or shows can be purchased using an on-screen guide, an automated telephone system, or through a live customer service representative. Events include feature movies, sporting events and adult movies (which is not available here in S'pore)

PPV actually started in the State bout 1950s... then evolved n improved till now and in S'pore, Starhub has been rather aggressive in promoting that inline (I think) with their digital set-up boxes recently. In my opinion, I think this is going to be the future coz digital entertainment is improving rapidly. Some may think : why do I still need to pay more to view? It is depends... for example Wrestlemania 22 - the wrestling event of the year! I actually watched that not long after it was aired in the States (don't ask me the source!) coz I'm a huge wrestling fan. However in Spore, the PPV for this event came much later... kinda disappointed.

ok, enough said. I just signed up for the World Cup 2006 PPV package coz die die must see! But honestly to me, I feel that it should be a PPV thingy since I'm a SCV sports group subscriber since ages ago. Anyway, its not that expensive for this PPV and since I can afford it, why not? Can't wait for the world cup to start! but damn! this also means getting nearer to my exams! Exams start 8 June, ends 13 June.....World Cup 2006 starts 9 June....